We are shouting out about Mouth Cancer Action Month 2018 which is taking place this November.
Figures show that more than 7,800 people were diagnosed with mouth cancer in the UK last year. It can be a devastating disease, with those diagnosed suffering with breathing, swallowing and even problems drinking or eating.
It is important to know the symptoms:
● Persistent lumps in the mouth
● Swollen lymph glands in the neck
● Unexplained mouth ulcers
● Pain or difficulty when swallowing
● Changes in your voice or speech problems
● Bleeding or numbness in the mouth.
Early detection is crucial. If any of these signs are noticed tell your doctor or dentist immediately.
It is important to have regular dental check-ups your Dentist may be able to detect mouth cancer during an examination.
What can you expect from a Mouth Cancer check-up?
Your Dentist may use a small mirror to check the inside of your mouth and tongue. During the examination they will also check your neck and underneath your jaw. Your Dental team can see parts of your mouth that you cannot and that’s why it is so important to get examined by a Dentist.
How to make sure your mouth stays healthy?
● Stop smoking
● Cut down on the amount of alcohol you drink
● Eat at least five portions or fruit and vegetables a day.
● Visiting your Dentist regularly.